Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Where is my 'wireless connection' ?

Beginning last week, there has been no wireless connection detected at my Apartment, due to this my poor sister and I were unable to download gaming tips, hunt for cheap stuff at lelong and also moderate forums like I used to. I can no longer live a healthy life at home because some idiot neighbour decided to switch off his wireless modem router when he's not using it.


I came out with a few theories on why he decided to switch off and it amazes me how can someone could ended up being so screwed up in mentality:

1) One of his friends told him that if you leave the modem ON for whole day, it will potentially burn off the modem due to overheat.

Fact : All devices have useful life. For my personal experience, modem's useful life have a 2 years to 5 years. That is why manufacturer gives 1 year part warranty because technically the product can last MINIMAL of 2 years. But there are cases where product fail before the minimal 2 years but consumer will be compensated for those minimal occurance.Being a consumer product (Class 3), all device will undergo reliability test as per JEDEC standard before releasing to the market and technically all product released to the market should be able to withstand until the middle of "Useful Life".











If that idiot switch off his modem, there is a chance that his modem could have say 10 months month useful life (which technically should allow him to practice his warranty benefit if he let the modem switch on for whole day), but because he DID NOT ON his modem everyday, which might ended up his modem spoilt at 1 years 1 months (for example). Then not only his action cause inconvenience to the neighbours but also void him of his warranty benefit and also tons of irritation.











2) Idiot wants to save energy coz he is a poor / middle income guy. He thought that switching off his modem will eventually save him enough for his new car or his coming marriage (I am assuming he's not married cause people like this shouldn't have good marriage prospect).

Fact : Maximum wireless modem's power consumption at average 12 watts @ 12VAC & 1.2A (based on D-Link DSL-604T) and would be approximately RM 1.88 (based on new tariff : RM43.60 on 200kWh). If the idiot thinks that saving RM2 (rounded up for clarity sake) can change his financial status, that wouldn't sound right either. If you switch off your computer then I understand lah, but switching off modem just because of RM2 per month... pathetic!
Reference : TNB tariff, Wireless modem spec

Based on these 2 main suspected reasons, I would conclude that the people in my apartment area does not have the muhibbah spirit as we Malaysians like to claim we have. Hope lightning strikes my apartment area and hope the surge find its way through the phone lines and zap that my neighbour's modem.



Guess I have to continue watch series and play my PS2 for now...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect that owner of that modem knows someones getting scott free with free internet usage...
Have you put yaself in his shoes???
I bet you are selfish too eh? so is he... Who isn't??? To some extend.. that is...

Anonymous said...

I guess better u go and get ur own streamyx.
Then tell ur neighbour that they can share ur streamyx with wireless online.
While you are the one who pay.
(Is charity)

Anonymous said...

Whaahhh anonymous... really slap Keebs on the face, no chance to dodge also... spoken like a true champion man!!! Keebs better exchange the position of your head to your arse... malu onli... hahaha
But the way you put it, might offend my friend Keebs ler... my sympathy Keebs!! Might wanna consider what to blogg...